To: All Local 5 Members
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19
With the safety and wellbeing of all BACU Local 5 members and staff, the following will be in effect immediately (March 17, 2020):
- The March Monthly Union Meeting is cancelled. April’s meeting will be assessed closer to the time.
- All Local 5 scheduled Safety Courses are suspended until further notice.
- Members eligible for Supplemental Unemployment Benefit (SUB) payment will continue to report hours as normal but will now collect payment from the Local 5 office mailbox.
- All visits to the Local 5 office should be limited to essential business, for example: the payment of Basic Monthly Dues to remain a member in good standing.
- Work Referral Slips will also be collected from the Local 5 outside mailbox and any questions regarding the work referral placement please call the Business Manager’s cellphone (519-871-3933).
These are challenging times with information seemingly changing daily but I am sure if the guidelines provided by the London Middlesex Health Unit and Health Canada are adhered to, we allow ourselves the best chance of limiting the advancement of this virus.
Those guidelines taken from the London Middlesex Health Unit (LMHU) website are as follows:
- Staying home when you are sick.
- Washing your hands with soap and water often, for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throwing the tissue in the garbage.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Seeking medical care early if you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, and sharing your recent travel history with your healthcare provider.
If you have any questions please contact the Local 5 Business Manager, please stay safe and treat this COVID-19 outbreak with the seriousness it deserves.
BACU Local 5